Dakolo demands apology from Fatoyinbo over alleged rape
• Lists Ashimolowo as witness in case against COZA founder
Celebrity photographer Busola Dakolo has asked the founder and Senior Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo, to tender a public apology to her for allegedly raping her when she was a teenager.
Dakolo, wife of inspirational singer, Timi Dakolo, finally dragged Fatoyinbo, to court over her rape claims. A FCT High Court in a writ of summons obtained yesterday dated September 6 and served on Fatoyinbo, ordered the pastor to appear before it within 14 days of the service or judgment may be given in his absence.
It was further gathered that the court may subpoena Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo, the Senior Pastor of Kingsway International Christian Centre (KICC), as he has been listed among the witnesses Busola will be using to establish her case.Busola, through her lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi & Co., is seeking the order of the court to compel Fatoyinbo to publish a clearly worded apology to Busola on the front page of at least two national newspapers and two national televisions for seven days running consecutively.
Busola had two months ago made a shocking revelation in a detailed interview of how the Abuja-based cleric raped her as a teenager. She claimed Fatoyinbo had sexual intercourse with her on September 23 and 26, 2002, caused her continuous emotional distress and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The viral video had set social media on fire, evoking shock, backlash and criticisms from Nigerians, especially the Christian community.In her suit, Dakolo alleged that Fatoyinbo “forcefully pushed her unto a couch close to the front door of her house, undressed her, caressed her body, fondled her breasts, exposed his genitals to her glare, forcing a bottle of soda (Krest) down her throat thereby making her breathing difficult.”She claimed that by covering her mouth to muffle her screams, Fatoyinbo threatened her life on September 23, 2002. According to her, these actions “both jointly and/or severally are outrageous and reckless and have caused her emotional distress” amounting to intentional infliction of emotional distress on her.
Dakolo further stated that on another occasion on September 26, 2002, Fatoyinbo drove her in a car to a secluded area, pulled her out of the car, undressed her, spanked her buttocks, threatened her life, caressed her body, and exposed his genitals to her glare.She described the sexual intercourse the clergyman allegedly had with her on both days, jointly and/or severally as outrageous and reckless and amounts to intentional infliction of distress on her.
Mrs. Dakolo also asked the court to declare that Fatoyinbo’s denial of his alleged acts contained jointly and/or severally through a press statement he released on June 28, 2019, had caused her continuous emotional distress and amounted to intentional infliction of emotional distress on her.It will be recalled that Fatoyinbo was detained during interrogation over the rape allegation at the Force Headquarters in Abuja last month. He was eventually released on bail. He had earlier boycotted the panel set up by the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) to investigate the rape allegation against him, claiming that he was advised by his lawyers not to appear.
Her purported N10 million demands have since stirred varied reactions from Nigerians on Twitter. @Davideboh5 wrote: “Why N10m? That’s not worth the suffering she endured for nearly 20 years. Foolish men, especially those in developing and lawless countries like Nigeria must be stopped from abusing their positions of power. Nothing stops her from raising it to N30b. The church can afford it.”
@Selflessteacher said: “If she demands N10 million, I think she is sick, I have always supported her, but not on this. Her revelation was supposed to help her heal, expose the criminal and let the police do their job, not augment her wealth.”@the_writa said: “Busola, please don’t use your own hands to destroy whatever is left of your credibility. Don’t attach a price tag to this whole mess.”
But Dakolo has denied making any claim for compensation. Counsel to Dakolo, Olajengbesi, made the clarification in a statement in Abuja. He said the N10m quoted by the media is the cost of the action carried out by her lawyers, to wit, litigation fee.He said: “The police are still investigating the allegation of rape made by our client against Fatoyinbo. In furtherance of the police investigation, the Fatoyinbo was confronted by our client on September 5, at the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja, during an investigation conference presided over by Deputy Inspector General of Police, Mike Ogbizi.
“The police therefore have not taken anyone to court. The civil suit is independent of the investigation of the police. Secondly, the court did not issue any summons on our client and the 14 days given to Fatoyinbo, within which to enter appearance to the writ of summons begins from the date of personal service of said suit on Fatoyinbo and this will be after the matter has been assigned to a judge.
As reported from guardian